Baby’s healthy first birthday cake recipe!
We have just celebrated Jenson’s first birthday and this is the healthy first birthday cake, with no sugar we made him. Recipe is from fitmamarealfood.com
It was wonderful letting him enjoy cake at his party, but having the piece of mind that it wasn’t bad for him at all! First birthdays (or any birthday’s at that can be fun, without being a sugar overload!)
It’s super easy to make, I did most of it in the food processor, and bought a couple of tiny cake tins from the super market. The trickiest part was trying to get them to stay together when I was icing it, and avoid the “leaning over” effect! But those of you with more baking skills than me, will be fine. Happy baking and happy birthdays xx
- 4 or 5 ripe organic bananas (I actually used 6!)
- 1/2 cup natural no sugar added applesauce (Halve apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and bake in oven with skin on until soft, then scoop out and mash, blend or pop in the food processor)
- 3 tbsp organic coconut oil (melted)
- 3 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (we used organic spelt flour, it takes a bit longer to cook with – it was a bit of trial and error, but I ended up cooking for about 30mins)
- 3/4 cup organic oat flour (grind rolled oats in blender, then measure)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Coat your 4 mini tart pans + 6-8 muffin pans (or 2 8 or 9″round pans) with oil.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of the pans.
- Bake at 190°C for 15-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
- Cool the cakes before frosting. If you used the 8″ or 9″ pan, then use an overturned smaller bowl to cut out small cake rounds.
Healthy No Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup no sugar added apple juice concentrate (I used the same apple sauce from the cake)
- 2 teaspoons pure organic vanilla extract
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Whisk the cream cheese with the apple juice concentrate and vanilla extract until creamy.
Are you an eco Mama? Looking for ways to lower your carbon footprint, keep your baby safe in chemical free, organic clothing and products?
If you’re into healthy eating and eco living, while you’re here, check out our shop, filled with fabulous finds for the eco conscious organic baby, toddler and Mama! With ethically made baby clothes, organic baby blankets and wraps, organic cotton toys and more, you can have your (healthy) cake, and eat it too!